This is a great post to publish right behind yesterday’s on wedding dress shopping. Here’s everything you need to know about wedding dress alterations put together by our very own Ashley.
Once you’ve found the perfect gown, you have to get the perfect fit with alterations. Here are some tips and facts as you consider having the hem shortened or the train bustled.
1. Do NOT cut corners on alterations to save money. You want a professional to make the gown fit perfectly. Most Nashville wedding gown shops have in-house seamstresses or can recommend where you should take your dress. Dry cleaners may offer these services but make sure that they have experience with wedding gowns.
2. So, how much do alterations cost? After doing a bit of research with local seamstresses and a Google search, most alterations will run anywhere from $30 – $300 on average. The cost is dictated by the intricacies of the work, ie, how many layers need to be hemmed, are additional beads or buttons being added, etc.
3. Plan your fittings to be completed at least four weeks before your wedding. On average, most brides will have two fittings, more with more detailed work. You definitely don’t want to pay for rush work or even think about someone rushing to make perfect your beautiful wedding dress.
4. If you plan on losing weight, try to do so before your last fitting. Most brides consider getting in better shape or losing a few pounds before their wedding. Great, you want to feel your best on your wedding day, but you also want your beautiful gown to fit just so.
5. Bring wedding shoes and undergarments to your fittings. You need your shoes to adjust the hem and your bra to adjust the bodice. If you haven’t found just the right pair of wedding shoes, at least wear some with a similar heel you have in mind. You might even bring the jewelry you plan on wearing to get a real sense of balance.
Fittings are fun, and a great chance to get back into that beautiful gown you chose. You will be stunning on your wedding day!
Subscribe to our weekly newsletter to get great info from Ashley once a week.