Today is the day! The day you and your sweet hubby to be get to run wild with a scan gun. Registering for wedding gifts can be exciting but it can also be overwhelming. In this series we will go over the essentials for your registry room by room. Today is all about kitchens!
Image via Shelter
Going for a full set may be tempting but you probably won’t use all the knives in the set. Think about building your own set instead. The knives you will use on a regular basis are
- 10 inch Chef Knife, best used for chopping and slicing.
- 8 inch Serrated Knife, best used for slicing bread and tomatoes.
- 10 inch Carving Knife, great for slicing that first Thanksgiving turkey or Christmas Ham.
- 3 or 4 inch Paring Knife, for pealing apples or capping strawberries.
Pots and Pans
Again, the set may be tempting but who needs a 1/2 qt pot? Not most people. Build your own based on what you like to cook.
- 10 inch Skillet with a long handle and sloping sides.
- 4 and 6 cup Saucepan with tight fitting lids
- 10 inch Saute pan. Look one with a heavy bottom, straight sides, and 2 1/2 or 3 inches deep.
- Blender. This will whip up milkshakes, smoothies, and even smooth soups.
- Electric Mixer. A heavy duty one will last years and years of baking bliss.
- Cutting boards. Wood is best for fruit and veggies. Plastic is best for raw meats because it is easier to sanitize once you are done. Glass may be pretty but it will damage your knives so try to stay away from it.
- Grater for cheeses, veggies, and fruits.
- Zester or Rasp for zesting citrus or nutmeg
- Spatula. Remember if you are registering for non stick coated pots and pans to register for rubber or plastic spoons and spatulas. Metal will scratch your non stick pans.
- Measuring spoons.
- Measuring cups for dry ingredients.
- Measuring cups for wet ingredients.
- Mixing bowls. Get several sizes. Nesting ones take up less space if your new home has little storage.
- Pepper Mill for fresh ground pepper.
- Spoons for mixing, serving, and stirring. These can be metal, wood, or plastic. Keep your non stick cookware in mind!
- Tongs. Metal or rubber coated.
- Can opener
- Meat Thermometer
- Baking sheet
- Muffin Pan
- Cake pan
Clean Up and Storage
- Dish towels and cloths. Bar mops and flour sack towels come in handy for drying dishes and glassware.
- Plastic or glass containers with air tight lids.
Have you registered for all of your wedding gifts? Did you see anything above that you had overlooked? Next time we will go over dining essentials.