If you receive our newsletter, and you totally should (sign up here) you saw the inspiration board Tiffany created with all things Kentucky Derby. Stunning monogrammed Derby hats, silver cupped mint juleps, and pie? Yep, I’m inspired!
Image Credit: Clockwise from the upper left hand corner~ Derby Horses , Pink Hat & Dress , Bowtie Mint Juleps , Mint Julep Cupcakes , Mint Juleps on Tray , Monogram Hat , Derby Pie Cookie , Derby Pie , Awesome Jockey, Calvin Borel (Center)
So are you looking for the perfect Mint Julep Recipe? Here’s one that won’t muddle up the mint flavor!
- Crushed Ice (grab a bag at your local Sonic for the perfect crunchable crushed ice!)
- Burbon (the good kind, at least 90 proof)
- 1/2 C Sugar
- 1/2 Water
- 3/4 C FRESH Mint leaves + sprigs of leaves for garnish
To Make the Mint Simple Syrup (make a day or so before to let the mint steep):
Take half a cup of sugar and half a cup of water, cook them together on a stovetop until the sugar dissolves. Transfer to a glass lidded container, like a mason jar and add 3/4 cups of packed mint leaves. Refrigerate.
To make the drink:
- Add simple syrup to a glass or julep cup.
- Fill glass half full with crushed ice.
- Add bourbon and stir. Add more crushed ice and stir again, until the glass frosts up.
- Garnish with a bouquet of fresh mint.
That’s it! The perfect Mint Julep with no worries if you’ve muddled up the mint too much!
Looking for the perfect Derby Pie Recipe? Check out these delish options!