Today we have a guest post from Kristina Ponder with Courtyard by Marriott Franklin Cool Springs and the Residence Inn by Marriott Franklin Cool Springs. She has the inside scoop on all the benefits of setting up a room block for your out of town guests.
Group blocks are a supply of rooms that are set aside for your party. These rooms are blocked typically by working with a sales representative at a hotel and guarantee a certain number of rooms, at a certain rate for a limited period of time.
The benefits to having a group block are:
- Everyone receives the same discounted rate.
- Your guests will need to reserve these rooms in advance, thereby assisting you with RSVP’s.
- You’ll be able to provide all members of your party with a room at the same hotel.
Do the bride and groom pay for the rooms?
The bride and groom are not responsible or expected to pay for the rooms; however each hotel has different policies for how they “guarantee” each block. Make sure to contact the sales representative and inquire about their policies before signing any agreement.8 Things to Know Before Blocking Hotel Rooms:
- Have a good idea how many guests are traveling from out of town and who will need guest rooms. Keep in mind what each guests interest are and what areas of the city they may prefer to stay in.
- Know what types of rooms your guest will need. For example, those guests with children will need rooms with two beds or a bed and pull out sofa.
- Before calling various hotels, ensure that your guest needs will be met at the hotel you choose. For example, the bride and groom usually want a location that is within close driving distance from the ceremony and reception. Guests may want a hotel that is located near local sites or attractions.
- When inquiring about blocking off rooms for a wedding it is important to give the sales department detailed information. Which will allow them to best take care of your specific guests are their needs while in town for your special day
- Don’t hesitate to ask questions, about the booking process as well as what the hotel has to offer. They understand that for many of you this is your first time booking a block of rooms at a hotel for any event.
- If you are unsure between more than one hotel and having trouble making a decision, one of the best ways to decide is to visit the hotels and see first hand, exactly what they have to offer.
- Inform the hotel ahead of time if you are planning on creating gift bags for you’re out of town guests. Hotel representatives enjoy becoming a part of your wedding experience and will help ensure that all bags are delivered as seamlessly as possible. Some ideas of items to use when creating a gift bag are; bottled water, local candies or beverages, directions to the ceremony and reception, a wedding mix CD and cookies. You can even tailor gift bags to each individual guest.
- It is a good idea to choose just one hotel for your guests. Doing so will make it easier on the guests for things like meeting up and getting to and from wedding events. It will also make it easier on you to know where everyone is staying in case you need to get a hold of them, also for delivering gift bags and providing directions. Choosing just one hotel will also allow you a better chance of receiving a lower rate.
We hope this post has helped you with some of the questions you may have about room blocks! If you still have questions give us a call at the studio and we will be happy to help in any way we can!