Looking for that perfect detail for your big day? Not into ring pillows and looking for an alternative? Looking for a great Bridesmaid gift? Seriously these would be perfect in all sorts of ways!
Here’s what you’ll need ~
- Craft porcelain is available at Hobby Lobby
- Vintage Doily or Lace
- Craft Knife
- Rolling pin
- A bowl or pan in the shape you would like your pottery to mimic
Here’s how it’s done ~
- Using a rolling pin, roll out a layer of porcelain clay 1/4 inch thick, making sure it is 4 inches longer than than the size of the doily you will be using. Place the rolled clay on a piece of cotton fabric.
- Using the rolling pin, press the doily into the clay to make an impression.
- Peel back the doily very gently.
- Use a wet sponge to clean and smooth the impression. Wipe away loose particles or clay.
- Using a knife, cut around the doily using the edges of the impression design as a guide. Smooth the edges with a damp sponge.
- Lift the piece using the edges of the cotton fabric and place the piece into the tray or bowl you are using as a mold to shape it. Let it dry for 24 – 72 hours.
Add color by tinting your clay with an acrylic or oil paint. If your plate or bowl will be used to serve food, make sure to seal it with a non-toxic sealer. If it’s just for looks, you can seal it with Krylon’s Crystal Clear for a gloss look or Krylon’s Matte Finish if you want it to be a flat finish.
If you’re not into DIY, head on over to Maggie’s website where you can purchase your very own work of art!
Happy Planning and enjoy your weekend!